Leading papermaker SCA Graphic Paper has created a brand-new paper category for graphical printers: Fine Wood-Containing Paper (FWP) narrows the gap between woodfree and wood-containing offset papers as never before.
Leading the way in this innovative new segment is Frontier, a high bulk, high opacity offset paper with a premium feel ideal for magazines, supplements, direct mail, puzzle books and notebooks.
Frontier is being launched in the UK in partnership with Vision Paper and Board in 70, 75 and 80gsm weights and is available as part of their Your Size Bespoke sheeting service.
Peter Featherstone, Sales Office Manager for Vision Paper and Board, says: “SCA Frontier is an exciting new type of paper, the brightest wood-containing offset paper in the world. And with the lower substance range, combined with high bulk and opacity, printers can reduce their costs through improved yield without sacrificing the quality of their product.”
Neil Coleman, Sales Manager for SCA Graphic Paper UK, agrees. “Our new FWP paper category is an ambitious one,” he states, “It’s a category that challenges accepted industry norms when it comes to what a wood-containing paper can be and can achieve. Printers or publishers want their magazines, supplements and catalogues to be just a bit more special and SCA Frontier is the ideal choice for this.”
With an ISO brightness of 86% and a CIE whiteness of 105%, the difference between a wood-containing and a woodfree offset has never been so slight, and the high bulk and opacity associated with this type of pulp contributes to the premium quality of the grade.
SCA Frontier is available for mill direct sales in reels, or from Vision Paper and Board in both sheets and reels. Neil Coleman explains the partnership decision: “We chose to work with Vision Paper because of their ability to produce sheets in a wide range of sizes to tight deadlines. With 3 versatile sheeters at their disposal, as well as reel rewinding capability, we are confident of their ability to help us develop this exciting new grade in the UK market.”
Peter Featherstone confirms: “SCA are a leading paper producer, and Europe’s largest private forestry owner, but, despite their size, they are still ready to innovate and are not afraid to shake up existing perceptions of how paper should be. We are delighted to be associated with this project and relish the opportunity to develop sales of the world’s brightest wood-containing offset paper.”
To accompany the launch of SCA Frontier, a full colour brochure has been produced on the paper to highlight the outstanding results that can be achieved. Copies are available on request from Vision Paper and Board.
The Snowy Owl
The unique Snowy Owl (Bubo scandiacus, sometimes Nyctea scandiaca) has more bulk and is whiter than most birds – and all other owls. Its natural habitat is in the northern Arctic tundra regions of North America, Russia and Northern Europe.
About SCA Graphic Paper
- SCA is Europe’s largest private forestry owner with over 2 million hectares of forest
- SCA Ortviken paper mill in Sweden produces around 775,000 tpa and employs in excess of 600 people
- Ortviken mill has FSC and PEFC chain of custody certification as well EU Ecolabel
- The mill uses biofuel instead of oil and self generates around 50% of the electricity is uses.
About Vision Paper and Board
- Vision Paper and board is the UK’s leading merchant-converter, established for 10 years with annual sales in excess of 85,000 tonnes and part of the £80M turnover Middleton Group employing over 300 people.
- Converting equipment includes 4 sheet cutters; a mill winder and guillotining facilities to enable a 24-48 hour express conversion service incorporating bespoke size availability to provide significant cost and waste savings.
- Vision Paper and Board have made significant investment in their conversion and storage facility in the Midlands and can offer product availability from 20,000 tonnes of UK held graphical paper, board and packaging board comprising flat sheets, cutter reels, HSWO and cut-star reels. A varied customer base includes; commercial print, publishing, print management and the graphical and packaging board sectors, as well as business papers to stationers, wholesalers and education authorities.
- Vision Paper and Board recognises its responsibility towards protecting the environment and has achieved the internationally recognised FSC® and PEFCTM chain of custody certification.
About Tangent Paper Services
Tangent Paper Services offers technical and PR solutions to the paper industry, with customers including paper merchants and mill sales offices. We also offer freelance copywriting services to paper and printing trade magazines and will accept commissions for articles and features.
For further information, please contact Tony Hardy on +44 07764 879976 or email: email@example.com